Friday 27 December 2013

The Confessions of Fitzwilliam Darcy by Mary Street


'I was taken aback, for even a hint of temper in Bingley was most unusual: as a rule, he is the most amiable of men. ‘Am I so disagreeable?’ I asked. ‘Sometimes you are.’ Then he grinned. ‘You know you are.’ ‘Have you determined what is to be done about it?’ ‘There is nothing to be done about it,’ he said seriously. ‘You are too clever. You will descend to the level of ordinary mortals only by falling violently in love and making yourself ridiculous.’ ‘Heaven forbid!’ ‘In your case, Heaven may,’ replied Bingley, ‘though I confess I have not entirely given up hope.’ - M.Street

I have read two Mr Darcy's diary's by different authors and although this was not a diary it was very similar, it tells us P&P from Mr Darcy's point of view in a brief yet succinct way, almost like a diary. I thought I might get bored as there would be nothing new, but was pleasantly surprised. The author managed to create many new view points and perspectives to account for situations that were not fully explained in the original P&P. Especially the morning  Elizabeth and Mrs Gardiner pay a morning visit to Georgiana at Pemberly. I never quite understood the anxiety when Miss Bingley mentions that the militia were quartered at Meryton, she does not particularly mention Wickham and I am not sure why Georgiana is over come with confusion and unable to left up her eyes , did she know Wickaham had been stationed in Meryton? Or was it Darcy's anxiety because he thought Caroline may mention his name, but this book seems to come up with a plausible possibility.

'She thanked me but refused and Sir William’s attempt to persuade her had no effect. After a few moments she excused herself and turned away. Thus it was that Miss Elizabeth Bennet had the distinction of being the first woman ever to refuse to dance with me. Far from being offended, I was, on the contrary, rather pleased with her for, had she accepted, she would have obliged me to join that noisy, untidy set and exhibit myself in a manner which would have afforded the most acute embarrassment.' - M.Street


Also when I have read other books that give an account of Mr Darcy during his time away, for example Netherfield to Hunsford I start to panic because I fear it will be boring and I would prefer not to skip it, so I hope the content is good enough to hold my attention (I am sure you know what I mean, Darcy and Elizabeth come as a pair so without them, it better be gripping or at least interesting). Luckily this book tries to avoid that altogether as Darcy quickly moves onto the bits we are really interested in. But parts the that do not involve Elizabeth are the parts we are all eager to know more about.

'She would have been a widow as soon as she was a wife, for I would have killed him. Aye, and swung for it, if I had to.’ ‘You could not!’ whispered Georgiana, appalled. ‘You could not court death and dishonour in such a way!’ ‘Better tried and hanged for murder than the disgrace of knowing you were tied for life to such a man, and through my carelessness.’ M.Street

I found Darcy's dialogue with Georgiana after finding her in Ramsgate very interesting and her reasoning was very realistic. Darcy in also quite the lay psychologist in how he deciphers what different situations mean in regards to Elizabeth, it is fascinating indeed and very intelligent I must say. Most books tend to follow a path of Mr Darcy's anger after the proposal, followed by a very gradual self reflection once his anger has given way to reason. But this book sees Mr Darcy quickly understanding  the meaning of  her reproofs and taking them on board fairly quickly which was surprising; then again considering how quickly he was working out the meanings behind everyone words and actions in this book, I suppose I am not surprised. A delightful Sunday read.

'There was but one person of our party who objected to my plan, and greatly to my astonishment: Mr Hurst was of the opinion we should not interfere. ‘Deuced fine woman,’ he said of Jane Bennet. ‘Bingley won’t find another like her.’ ‘No one is disputing that,’ I informed him coldly. ‘Her family is the problem: you know my views on that subject.’ ‘If he does not object, why should you?’ ‘He has not given the matter proper consideration,’ I said with finality. Overruled by the rest of us, Mr Hurst said no more, but his objection had amazed me. I would not have expected him to have any opinion on the matter.' - M.Street




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! Your comments are always welcome