Wednesday 26 February 2014

Pride and Prejudice - Naxo Audiobooks, read by Emilia Fox



This has been my best purchase in a long long while!!!!!!!!! ( just to emphasise I misplaced two of the cds amidst ferrying the different disks between my house and the car, after 2 hours of searching I had resolved to dry my tears and purchase another. After a good nights sleep and awakening with a clear head I found the missing disks, words cannot do justice to my happiness on finding them).

I do not always get the time to read, so this is perfect as I was able to listen to it in the car without anyone saying "oh she's reading that again!!!"

Emilia Fox is one of my favourite actresses, she stars in the BBC 1 drama Silent Witness which I love, but also played Georgiana Darcy in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth!

Emilia Fox - Silent Witness

Emilia is so talented and really brought this book to life, I felt much of her character voices were similar to that of the 1995 P&P Adaptation.  Although I feel this is because as a reader you probably need to imagine how the characters are, so that you are clear on how they will sound when you read them.

I cannot do voice changes or accents to save my life, even when reading to my kids, my dragon sounds the same as my mouse. So I have the most praise indeed for Emilia, her accents and variations in tones where great. Her Lady Catherine was absolutely brilliant, she definitely sounded older and I do not know how she did it but she made it sound like her tongue was rolling slightly. Mrs Bennet was the most hilarious, sometimes I had the volume up because I was on the motorway and jumped many a time when she did her voice.

The whole time I was listening to this audio version, I have been most eager to be in my car, happy to volunteer gym and football runs where ever possible. Annoyed when I did not get stuck in traffic and annoyed when people drove like idiots as their foolishness would make me lose concentration!

So many times I was laughing in my car or smiling, although I would urge you to keep your emotions in check when stationary with pedestrians about. One day I was smiling when Emilia read
"Good gracious!'' cried Mrs Bennet, as she stood at a window the next morning, "if that disagreeable Mr Darcy is not coming here again with our dear Bingley! What can he mean by being so tiresome as to be always coming here? I had no notion but he would go a-shooting, or something or other, and not disturb us with his company. What shall we do with him? Lizzy, you must walk out with him again, that he may not be in Bingley's way.''
Some guy who was walking down the road thought I was smiling at him!!!

This audio version certainly does more justice to the book than I could ever do by reading it myself. Not to mention that you need do nothing but listen.

Emilia Fox reads this wonderfully, her English accent is great and she sounds very aristocratic. Emilia's command of the English language is truly excellent.

"My dearest child,'' she cried, "I can think of nothing else! Ten thousand a year, and very likely more! 'Tis as good as a Lord!


Emilia Fox as Georgiana Darcy
I would recommend any Austen fan to make a wise investment and purchase this post haste!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! Your comments are always welcome